Difference For a Day
Difference for a Day: We create fun activities joining teens and adults to bridge the gap of trust, build self esteem, and teach that life is limitless.
It’s All About The Kids Foundation organizes and facilitates monthly activities for the children from our Alliance Charities. The Difference for a Day mission is to build self-esteem, trust with adults, teach these wonderful children that anything in life is possible. The activities that we provide are on a monthly and sometime weekly basis. Most of our programs benefit the Toussaint Academy of Arts and Sciences and Storefront. We find that it is critical to impact these fantastic teens before they turn 18 and are dropped from traditional assistance. Our activities help create happy moments for the teens, while teaching them how to create their own happy moments and bright futures. All of our programs are led by Executive Director Angela Brannon with the help of It’s All About the Kids’ sponsors and volunteers. To volunteer for a Program, please contact Angela@ItsAllAboutTheKids.org.
Our Difference for a Day Activites
- Art Classes
The Toussaint Teens enjoyed the new Art Classes that started in January 2011. It was kicked off by a visit to Alexander Salazar Fine Art Gallery with a class by artist Tania Acala. Then, the students attended a weekly class that was taught by professional artists David Dickey, Valorie Henderson and John Vaughn. They learned different techniques and created works of art. Thank you to Artist & Craftman’s for their generosity.
In the Summer 2011, The Art Classes were expanded! Sponsored and hosted by Alexander Salazar Fine Art, the kids from Christie’s Place, Storefront and the Toussaint Academy enjoyed weekly Art classes all summer. The students were surrounded by masterpieces on display in the gallery and even met artists and they stopped in to check out the classes. Artist Valorie Henderson shared more techniques and Kira Corser shared her “Art is the Next Peace:Connecting Communities” project with us ! All Art Classes included drinks and lunch ! Artist Matt Milano also shared his talents.
Read more on this program! CLICK HERE!
The Art Classes will continue this Summer – and will include photography and movie making !
- Shoot for the Cure with the Chargers to benefit Huntington’s Disease ! Since 2005, It’s All About the Kids has been given tickets to attend this great event! Teens from the Toussaint Academy get to spend a great evening with the Chargers and their guests, shooting hoops and enjoying food and drinks from local sponsors. The event is held each June. For our News Article CLICK HERE.
- Life Skills Scavenger Hunt ! It’s All About the Kids has produced the Life Skills Scavenger fpr the Toussaint Academy for 9 years! This yearly events challenges the teens to survive a scavenger hunt filled with just that… life skills. Teams of teens sign up for school, enroll in college, open a bank account, rent an apartment all while getting ‘life cards’ that try to throw them off course. Prizes are given to the winners who complete the most steps and Classes and discussions are then held after the activity. The next Life Skills Scavenger Hunt is in February of 2012. In 2011, the teams of teens in the Hunt had to complete challenges during the activity, which added a new twist! Sponsored by Torrey Pines Bank, Whole Foods and Downtown Rotaract Club.
It’s All About the Kids is bringing the Scavenger Hunt to South Bay Community Services soon!
- Afternoon of Total Beauty ! It’s All About the Kids has produces the Afternoon of Total Beauty for 9 years! This annual event for the female teens of the Toussaint Academy and Storefront provides a ‘new look’ with a new haircut and style with a skin and makeup application consultation. Groom The Salon is our yearly host with makeup from Mary Kay Cosmetics and Brian Bond Makeup Artistry. Successful women supporters from It’s All About the Kids give presentations about self esteem, college prep, reproductive health and issues facing teens. At the conclusion, the guests and teens enjoy dessert! The event is held each March.
For the March 2012 event, the teens had a blast! Thank you to Sara of Sprinkle Me Desserts for the delicious cupcakes! Thank you to Dr. Rochelle Olsen, Jessica Barnes and Rhonda Parshell for fantastic presentations.
- Toussaint Academy’s Prom – It’s All About the Kids has produced the Prom for the Toussaint Academy for 9 years ! Teens receive dresses, tuxedos, shoes, jewelry, purses, corsages, limo transportation and everything that a teen dreams about and more! The teens are busy working on a theme for the 9th annual!
Thank you to Nstyle Limo, Casino Concepts, Coca-Cola and Downtown Rotaract for sponsoring.
Upcoming Prom is July 14, 2012 !
- Bowling and Fun! On April 5, 2011, East Village Tavern and Bowl hosted It’s All About the Kids for a night of bowling. San Diego Charger Mike Scifres was suppose to join us, but he had to go to the hospital with his wife as she delivered their twins two weeks early! We had a great time and wish them all the best. To make it up to us, Mike is taking It’s All About the Kids to an upcoming Charger game. Go Chargers!
- Over 11,000 kids have received toys
- 34 kids visited and fed the Navy Dolphins
- 30 teens went Snowboarding
- 40 teens went to Surfing Camp
- 134 kids and their families attended Padre Games
- 70 kids attended Charger Games
- 180 teens experienced Life Skills Scavenger Hunt
- 110 young ladies experienced Afternoon of Total Beauty
- 52 teenage boys competed in Playstation Olympics
- 60 girls went Shopping for bras
- 185 teens have experienced Prom
- 20 teens attended Hall of Champions luncheons with Jim Brown, Tony Parker and Adriane Gonzalez
- 35 teens attended the Bodies Exhibit
- 40 teens attended the movies, Inconvenient Truth, Star Wars and Harry Potter.
- 20 kids attended a 3 day football camp provided by the California Police Youth Charities
- 225 kids attended Back Pack Parties !
- and much more every month…..
Chefs & Kids! One of our new programs! Teens will visit the best San Diego restaurants and learn from the top chefs! Thank you Chef Christopher Gardner of Fleming’s La Jolla for your support! Teens will learn about the culinary arts and enjoy a fantastic dinner!